Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Shrimp Artichoke Salad

Of course I cannot follow a recipe, and I've read that's a middle child trait, and then there's that thing where my smoking vegetarian cannot eat anything with a brain stem, so when I cooked Shrimp Artichoke Salad for lunch, changes had to to be made.

I used Uncle Ben's Wild and Long Grain Mushroom Rice, and substituted canned artichoke heart quarters for the marinated ones. Also I didn't have curry powder, but I did have Thai red mild curry paste. I would have used red kidney beans, but didn't have any, and I'm glad because for the boy, I sauteed that Morningstar faux chicken strips, but I sauteed shrimp in butter for me. I served frozen green peas as a side.

How is it, I asked the boy like I always ask him.

Good, he said, which is the next to highest food designation, and then he added, it seems to have one flavor, but I don't know what it is.

Curry, I said.

Oh, yeah, he said, it's fine. Fine is the highest quick lunch rating. He mixed his peas with his, and said it was a very good korma curry.

So maybe I was just looking for a vehicle to lap up the Thai red curry paste, but I ate it for lunch, and more for supper, adding a handful of chopped cilantro, and I think I will eat it for lunch and supper for the next five years, with an occasional side of peaches or canteloup.

Thanks for sharing, Manager 1.

1 comment:

Keetha said...

Aren't you inventive. I would have given up when I saw I didn't have curry.