Thursday, April 10, 2008

Beet Salad


What did beets do to deserve such a bad reputation??


Ok, I agree, I didn't like them myself for a long time, but it is only because I associated beets with those slimy, tinned things your elders used to try to get you to eat. But last month everything changed.
I was at brunch with some friends in Brooklyn, and one girl ordered a beet and goat cheese salad. After one bite of tangy cheese combined with the sweetness of the roasted beets, I knew I had to recreate this salad, and here is my version of it:

1 bunch of beets (the smaller they are, the quicker they cook)
About 4 tbs. of olive oil or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
Plain Goat Cheese (or herbed if you are feeling fancy)
Any kind of Lettuce leaves you like (I prefer arugula or fresh spinach)
Dressing:
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Start by setting your oven to 400 degrees.

Line a baking sheet with tin foil (cleanup couldn't be easier for this meal)

Prepare your beets by scrubbing them lightly, there is no need to peel them, the peels come off after they are roasted. Also, snip off the leafy greens at the top.

Put all your beets on the sheet, drizzle the olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (If you opt to use the balsamic vinegar, drizzle that over the top of your beets at this time)

Place beets in oven, and cook for 1hour, turning once at 30 min.

Make your dressing by whisking together all the ingredients and toss with arugula or spinach.
Quarter or slice the beets into rounds and place on top of salad. Crumble or slice the goat cheese and place on top of beets.
If you roast too many beets, you can keep them in tupperware in your fridge for up to a week, they are great warm or cold:-)

3 comments:

Camellia said...

Now that sounds totally fetching. What restaurant? And I can never find beets around here...don't think radishes will do.

Lizzie RePass said...

My favorite brunch spot, called Dumont, its in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, an area famous for hipsters, artists, musicians...and hasidic Jews:-) What a multicultural world we live in. I bet you could see if your grocer could get you some...usually if you ask for a certain kind of produce they will try to get it.

Camellia said...

I'll be asking Charles, my produce man, for beets. I love knowing the name of my produce man.

Maybe you should do a New Orleans Lizzie in New York blog.